Friday, January 8, 2016

Astronauts on the Moon (1970)





One of the few pop-up books I have found with a cover, so this is what is under the cover, most people find it used this way.

This is another one of those books that used to be in used book stores everywhere. It is always challenging to show off a pop-up but the paintings in this one are very nice.



Hendricks, Stanley. Illustrated by Muenchen, Al. Paper mechanics and layout by Howard Lohnes.Astronauts on the Moon. New York: Hallmark Cards. (16 p.) 24 cm. Illustrated Boards.


One of the most popular juvenile pop-up space books. Has nice illustrations and good paper engineering for the pop-ups. This book is inexpensive to find used and is fun to look at.  The pop-up of the lunar landing is particularly striking. Reprinted in 1974 with board cover with color photograph.

1974 REPRINT










COMMAND MODULE POP-UP IN SILHOUETTE






7 comments:

  1. This might be the first time you've featured a book I actually owned! What terrific memories this brings back. Strangely, the 1974 edition is the cover I remember, but it seems like I must have owned the book earlier than that. Could there have been another edition between those two with the same cover, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I had the '74 cover in '72 or '73.

      Delete
    2. I will trust your memories. All I can say is the there was a 1970 edition and then a reprint at some point. The 1974 date could easily be wrong. It is possible there were two covers at the same time, although the older one seems derived from a Gemini illustration (suggesting that cover was prepared in advance of the actual landing).

      Delete
  2. Another owner of this fabulous book though I never remembered having the book cover sadly. However, this book completely enchanted me and still does to this day. Thanks for posting as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I haven't seen this book in a long time.
    When I was 5 it was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother remembered we had this as kids, and I looked for it on the web and found it. Ordered one for me and one for him. So many memories came to life. Even my children now wow about the details of the popups. Thanks for putting this page as reference. I wouldn't have been able to get the title and confirm that's the book I had without it.

    ReplyDelete